Friday, August 29, 2008

Show me the love

I said this about 250 years ago: “Mankind naturally and generally love to be flatter'd.”

Okay – so I was writing to ole’ King George and I had to use the king’s language (that’s why they call it “English.”) But in today’s lingo, I’m really saying, “show me the love.”

I like it when people compliment my inventive ways, my witty sayings and my suave, sophisticated way. I also like it when people clap for me when I’m winning the hot-buttered corn eating contest at the State Fair.

So, how about you? Do you like praise? Do you like it when you are noticed for doing good? What is the best kind of recognition at work? What can the Postal Service do to help managers give genuine recognition?

Click on comments below to add your two cents.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best recognition that a supervisor can give to an employee….is to ask them for their input! When a supervisor asks an employee for their input, it tells employee that that the supervisor recognizes your skills and abilities. More importantly it allows the employee the opportunity to feel like his/her presents really matters.

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to the basic "Thank you". It has been a long time since I have heard that from a manager. Most people will work hard if they know it is appreciated. Food never hurts either.

Anonymous said...

The best recognition upper management could give supervisors and managers is letting those with success in any given area become involved in teaching the rest of the district how they achieved their success. We regularly read about how well implementing "Best Practices" works in other districts, but only see perceived poor performers addressed here, while the best performers are ignored.