Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reuse and recycle -- Postmaster needs your old uniforms

Let it never said that Mary Mikula can’t find a way to squeeze extra value out of something. The Sand Creek, WI, Postmaster is well known for her “frugal” ways.

She started recycling postal uniforms, matching unused uniforms to employees who are in need. It makes perfect sense, as uniformed employees often find their situations changing. They retire, get promoted, transfer or change crafts. They gain weight and they lose it. (I know, ahem, I changed sizes several times thanks to Mrs. Franklin's proficient baking prowess!)

When those changes happen, uniform items aren’t allowed to be discarded or given away unless all emblems, buttons, or other identifying insignia are removed (see ELM 934.6.)

Mikula's “Postal Clothing Closet” is now a raging success. But she has a problem. Not enough clothing. She needs postal clothing that's in good shape that's too small, too big or no
longer needed.

She'll take shoes, boots, hats, gloves, coats shirts and pants. The rules are few and simple. If you have an item that is clean and in good shape, send it. If you need an item, ask for it. The clothing items are available at no charge.

The list of available clothing is located here, accessible from any postal computer. Send your items directly to: Postmaster Mary Mikula, PO Box 9998, Sand Creek, WI, 54765-9998.

I know I have pants in size 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, and 44 that I'll be sending. How about you? What do you think about this idea? Tell me here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I had a conversation with two window clerks recently, who were complaining that the clothing allowance was insufficient for the amount of clothing needed on a weely basis. They also indicated the problem of changing sizes over the years. I will inform them of this program.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a great idea. I have a bunch of shirts I was storing to send to a post office if there was a disaster, but now I'll send them to Mary.

Anonymous said...

It is a great idea! I am a Retail Instructor and we always ask for uniform shirts from employees who no longer need their uniforms. We then recycle them to the new trainees so they can go to the window with a Postal Shirt to start them off until they get their uniform allowance.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea!! This lady is on the ball!! Thanks, Mary, for caring enough to do the extra work this involves. I am on a clothing round-up in my office to send to Wisconsin!