Monday, October 4, 2010

Reflections: National Postal Musuem

Many people aren't aware of the National Postal Museum.
It's a gem of a musuem, housed in a beautiful building near Union Station in Washington D.C.  The interior is a wonderful three-story high marbled edifice, where three suspended aircraft that were airmail pioneers float above.
The floor has mail trucks, an old mail train car and a stagecoach.

The interesting and varied history of the Postal Service are on full display in the outer rooms. Of course, there are stamps and other memorabila related to the history of mail delivery.

Have you ever been to the musuem? What do you think of it? Share your experience here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to the one in Washington. About 20 years ago, Oklahoma City hosted an old railroad, mail car exhibit. I volunteered to assist that day and it was interesting. I've worked with people who sorted mail on the old trains so I'd already heard some stories. Amazing how they could leave and pickup mail pouches using a pole with the train still flying along the tracks.

Joan said...

I've been to the DC Museum. It was awsome. The building it's in is very unique as weel but the information and exhibts are great. I sent postcards home from the kiosk there and the family loved them. they gave them back for my scrapbook. Not far from the rest of the National Museums.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have been to the DC museum! It was so interesting. I loved the displays about the railway clerks. I was fortunate to be able to work with a couple of the railway clerks after they made the transition to the become "regular" clerks. Good stories.

mim said...

I so want to visit the museum. I know I will at some point since it's not terribly far north of where I live. I'm an avid postcard mailer through Postcrossing and a Mail Artist, sending small art out into the world via the postal service! Keep up the good work and thanks!

Anonymous said...

I just got a chance to visit the museum last month. It is so interesting and fun. They've got the old airplanes that flew the mail and a stagecoach and even a LLV. I'd love to see something on the employees, there's a little bit, but not as much as they should have.