Thursday, July 28, 2011

Owney Tails - Protecting the Mail

Owney served as a postal service mascot in the late 1800’s. He literally rode the rails of the mail trains and was befriended by postal employees and embraced by the public across the country and eventually the world.

Photo Courtesy National Postal Museum

One day Owney was on the wagon going between the Post Office and the rail head and a mail bag fell off. The little dog jumped off the wagon and barked, but no one heard him. So, he stayed iwth the mailbag until they found him.

Author Dirk Wales, as interviewed at Your Postal Podcast, asked, "did Owney know that somebody would notice he was gone and come and find him?"

A good question.

"He instinctively knew the importannce of the sack," Wales said. "He was protecting the mail."

What do you think about this tale? Comment here.

7 comments:

Grannybunny said...

I love Owney and was shocked to learn recently that a colleague -- a six-year USPS EAS employee -- did not even know who he was. It's great that he got a stamp and we're now getting to hear all about his exploits.

Anonymous said...

I think it is postal myth. But a lovely story and I'm sure a great deal of truth in it.

Anonymous said...

I sure wish I hadn't heard that he got shot and killed by a Federal Marshall. Somehow that ruined the whole story for me.

Anonymous said...

This is one of many great stories!

Anonymous said...

Not much to say about this story BUT I will say this: This picture would have made a MUCH MORE interesting stamp than the "profile" picture that was chosen!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the last post...why on earth didn't they have the stamp artist do a rendition of this photo?! It would have made a much better visual story.

Anonymous said...

I love the story. But I never heard he got shot before...is that true. AND I totally agree that the "Owney" drawing with him on a mail bag is much more endearing and story telling than a portrait.
He sounds as loyal as the "old postal workers" and Postmasters as a whole.