Friday, February 4, 2011

Things Your Carrier Won't Tell You

Reader's Digest recently ran an article called, "Things Your Carrier Won't Tell You." The magazine interviewed carriers from around the country and assembled this list:


1. Most of us love our jobs and the people we serve. I met my wife and my best friend because I was their letter carrier. 

2. We go to great lengths to deliver to every address, no matter how remote. That’s why, in the most rural areas, even UPS and FedEx rely on us to make their final deliveries
3. Those plants around your mailbox are beautiful, but I’d like them better if you kept them trimmed back.4. Is it hot enough for me? The heat index is 110 degrees. What do you think? (Instead of asking that, offer me a cold drink.)5. Despite the “neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night” motto, we’re instructed not to deliver to a mailbox if the snow and ice around it isn’t cleared. Most of us take the motto to heart, though, and do our best to deliver in even the most hazardous conditions.
6. I have people who leave a letter in their box and tape 44 cents in change to it. I’ll take it, but the next day I’ll be waiting in line like everyone else to buy you a stamp.7. One day while delivering to a woman who had been very sick, her daughter met me by the mailbox and asked me if I wanted to say goodbye to her mom.  She was unconscious and didn’t know that I was there, but I held her hand and said a silent prayer for her and her family.  It wasn’t even an hour later when another customer met me at his door.  He was a new father, overjoyed, telling me that his wife had just given birth to his son. The whole cycle of life, in just one day.8. It’s a small thing that makes my job so much easier: Please park your car in the driveway instead of in front of the mailbox.9. If a letter has your name but the number is wrong and it gets to you, thank your carrier. We still sort our mail before we hit the street.10. If your carrier walks his route, it would be nice if you would sweep or shovel your stairs when it snows.11. Sometimes, when my wife and I are shopping or out to dinner, I ask if they give discounts to people in the “service.” They usually say “yes,” then ask “What branch are you in?” I reply, “postal.”  I usually get a funny look and a little snicker... I guess that means I’m just going to have to wait for my senior citizens discount.

What do you think? Are there things you would like to add? Click here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started my Postal Career as a Letter Carrier & you better believe they deserve every Dime they are paid . . . and then some!!!I have done the Park & Loop in the blazing Mississippi sun and it takes a toll on a body. I am proud of all our Letter Carriers and wish them all the very best!!!

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that even though mail volumes varies from day to day, people still expect us to deliver the mail at the same time every day.

PostMuse said...

I like that I can offer a lovely beverage! I'll keep a couple bottles of water in the freezer this summer and leave one in the box when I know it is going to be hot ... it will defrost just enough between my early morning mail drop (I leave about 10 pieces of mail a day in my box) and the mailman's mid-morning arrival. And my mailman seems to come at the exact same time every day ... I don't know how he does it.

Karen Oregon said...

Regarding # 9, before the carrier gets it, a clerk has sorted it. As a clerk, we often see weird addresses and because we know the entire scheme, not just one route, we can often guess where it goes.

Anonymous said...

Here are a few more: your dog is cute, but does not seem to like my uniform, please keep him behind a locked door/fence. Please tell your child that my big truck is not something they should hide or play around--I cannot always see them. I apologize if you get the wrong mail--I will correct the wrong. Magazines make great year-long gifts, and for all ages. what do i want for Christmas? well, i cannot be given money or liquor, but cookies would be nice.

Anonymous said...

I started at a plant, moved to being a clerk in a unit, moved to city carrier and then went to management. I wish someone had told me about being a rural carrier. They seem to have the best job yet they complain the most. In this day and age I am very grateful for my job and a few more people need to think the same way. If we don't go above and beyond to do our jobs today, we may find that the job isn't going to be there tomorrow. “ What we do in life, echoes in eternity. ”Maximus Decimus Meridias
Roman general from the film "Gladiator" (2000)