Have you ever wanted show your appreciation to a famous celebrity but didn’t know the best way to go about it? Celebrities get a lot of fan mail each and every day, and most may never see those letters after processing them through a hired filter.
Unless you have a mutual acquaintance to introduce you to that shining star, the chances of your message reaching their hands isn’t very promising. The best way to get your letter to that person is to have a structured plan of action. Here are a few tips from wikiHow that might help give your letter a better chance of avoiding the wastebasket:
- Provide a brief introduction of yourself, but don’t give your life’s story.
- Where did you first come across their work? Add something about where it is and how it was that you came to know about them.
- Tell them what you think about their work and how it makes you feel.
- If they’ve had an impact on your life, describe it to them to let them know they made a difference.
- Put a smile on their face by offering them a compliment.
- If you would like a response, be sure to send a self-addressed stamped envelope with the request for them to write you back.
- Thank the celebrity for taking the time to read your letter and offer them your best on their future endeavors.
As the most recent podcast would suggest, sometimes fan mail does get a response back. To listen to the Your Postal Podcast interview with Eli Saslow, author of “Ten Letters: The Stories Americans Tell Their President,” Click here.
Have you ever written to a celebrity? Did you ever get a response back? Tell your story here.