Friday, March 26, 2010

Rural Carriers officially join NALC Food Drive efforts

The National Rural Letter Carriers’ Association (NRLCA), which has been a longtime supporter of the NALC National Food Drive in many locales across the country, has accepted an invitation by NALC President Fred Rolando to become a full national partner in the May 8 drive to “Stamp Out Hunger.”

With the new national role, NRLCA will assist NALC and the drive’s other co-sponsors in promoting the volunteer collection of non-perishable food on the second Saturday in May, encourage increased participation by rural carriers in the effort, and help deliver donations to local food banks, pantries and shelters.

NRLCA President Don Cantriel, in advising President Rolando of his union’s action, said the NRLCA was eager to be more involved in helping to fight hunger in America.

Hundreds of NALC branches have already registered to participate in the food drive which stands on the cusp of breaking the 1 billion-pound mark in donations over the history of the 18-year-old humanitarian effort.

Read a history of the Food Drive here.
Photo is of Mesa AZ, City Carrier Bill Spotts, courtesy Dave Reynolds

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a carrier so I don't have to collect the food but I very much admire their efforts! I feel strongly that this is a very worthwhile effort and helps many, many folks. I'm glad the rural carriers will partner with the NALC. Thank you all!

Anonymous said...

When I was a PM of a small PO with only HCR drivers, we collected hundreds of pounds of food. THis is a WONDERFUL program. I always said that if each customer gave one can (16 oz.) we would collect a thousand pounds of food. The local food bank was always very grateful.

Anonymous said...

One of my first acts as the new postmaster last year was to get my new town involved in the food drive. They'd never done it there before. My rural carriers participated fully and were every bit as vital to the collection as my city carriers were. I was very proud of my crew - 1st year ever and they picked up over 1400 pounds of food. Our local food bank was grateful - and amazed.