Saving money for retirement is important to ensure a comfortable living after our working years are behind us. A return on that money makes retirement all the more enjoyable. One of the best ways to enjoy both options is to invest in an employer sponsored investment account. For Postal Service employees, that means investing in the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).
The TSP is a sound investment vehicle that allows federal employees to invest pre or post tax dollars into a collection of core investment options:
- G fund – short-term U.S. treasuries
- F fund – government and corporate bonds
- C fund – medium and large sized U.S. companies
- S fund – small and medium sized U.S. companies
- I fund – international stocks
- L funds – a combination of the previous five funds tailored to meet an individuals anticipated retirement date
Individuals can invest up to 100 percent of their account balance in one or any combination of these investment options.