Tuesday, June 5, 2012

At the Movies with USPS

Hello all, Benny here. I’ve been a big fan of movies since they first started popping up in the 1890’s, and let me tell you, they’ve come a long way since then. Some of my favorite films over the years, besides the ones that include me, are those that involve the Postal Service.

A good friend of mine, Nancy Pope from the Smithsonian’s National Postal Museum, has a blog where she wrote about her top 10 favorite postal movies. I’ve included the list here, but if you want to read more about them, be sure to check out her blog at: http://postalmuseumblog.si.edu/.

1.   Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
2.   Charade (1963)
3.   Appointment with Danger (1951)
4.   Il Postino (The Postman) (1994)
5.   Dear God (1996)
6.   Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
7.   The Aviator (1985)
8.   Air Mail (1932)
9.   Diva (1981)
10. Overland Mail (1942)

Also, be sure to check out the June edition of YourPostalPodcast.com for an interview with Nancy Pope and her favorite postal movies. I don’t recall catching Il Postino myself, so if you don’t mind, I’m going to go see what it’s all about.

Until next time!

What’s your favorite postal movie? Comment here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't recall the name of the movie, but I remember the one when Jimmy Stewart played Charles Lindberg.

Grannybunny said...

Harry Potter, with the owls delivering the letters.

Anonymous said...

I like 'The Notebook' where her mother finally gives her all the letters she had kept from the daughter; and some Tom Hanks movie where his son calls the radio station looking for a mom for his dad (Hanks) and throes of letters come in. And who can forget the series with good letter carrier and terrible letter carrier--Cheers and Seinfeld, respectively.

Anonymous said...

What about "The Postman Always Rings Twice"..was that any good, I can not remember.

What is with these words we have to type in? MeBarf..wth..the worst one was Precum...rather odd.

Anonymous said...

How about Men in Black 2 where Will Smith finds Tommy Lee Jones working for the Postal Service.

Anonymous said...

The Postman with Kevin Costner.