Thursday, June 7, 2012

Celebrate Bicycling



Today, the U.S. Postal Service celebrates bicycling with the issuance of the Bicycling stamp series. Each of the four colorful se-tenant stamps features a different kind of bike and rider: a young child just learning to ride with training wheels, a commuter pedaling to work, a road racer intent on the finish line, and an airborne BMX rider.

Recent surveys indicate that Americans enjoy billions of bike rides a year. Bicycling organizations around the country report increased participation in local biking activities, and nearly half of all Americans say they would like more bicycling resources, such as trails and bike lanes, in their communities.

Bicycling is a low-impact aerobic activity that just about everyone - from young children to retirees - can enjoy. The health benefits are impressive: Riding a bike lowers the risk of obesity, heart disease, and breast cancer while improving muscle tone and strength. Bicycling can also lower stress.

What’s your most memorable recollection of bicycling? Comment here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My home town built a bike path that went clear through town, following the creek that ran through it. It wen under bridges that crossed the creek at many streets, and they incorporated "ramps" that you could use to enter/exit the path. It was a pretty efficient way to get around town without too much interation with cars at street level in busy areas of town, and I still remember that I was able to get around easily and safely. I certainly miss it.

Grannybunny said...

My most memorable recollection of bicycling involved the totally tricked-out Lady Schwinn I won at a shopping center grand opening when I was twelve. It was top of the line and gorgeous. We were very poor and -- before that -- only had an ugly cast-off junk bicycle with no brakes and a chain that constantly broke. I whizzed around everywhere on my new bike; compared to the old one, it felt like flying. I was "Queen of the World!" The Lady Schwinn is long-gone -- as is even the shopping center where I won it -- but I will never forget that new-found sense of freedom it gave me.