Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Preparing for Fun in the Sun



Hello all, Benny here. It’s summer time again, and I think this is a pretty good time to go over some tips on how to prevent sunburns and heat-related illnesses.

Ways to beat the heat haven’t really changed much since I was a lad. Because we didn’t have air conditioning, I always made sure to drink plenty of water both indoors and out.

Before going outside, my mother always made sure I had my hat. I thought it made me look like a pirate, but I wasn’t about to argue with mom and kept it on anyway. It did a pretty good job at keeping the sun off of my neck and ears, so looking back, it came in pretty handy after all. Thanks, Mom.

I wore long-sleeved, loose-fitting shirts that breathed well enough in the heat. Not only was it the style back then, but they also kept harmful UV rays off of my arms. Of course, I didn’t really know that when I was a lad, but I’m sure glad I wore them now.

I don’t always remember where I put my hat sometimes (don’t tell my mother that), so when I’m heading into the sun without one, I have to make sure to put on plenty of sunscreen on my crown. Sunscreens are abundant and pretty cheap for what they offer today, but when I was out and about in my youth, they didn’t exist.

I rarely spend a great deal of time in the sun anymore, but whenever I step outside into the bright rays, I still take the steps I went over earlier to keep from getting burned. Since it works well for me, I think it would be a great idea for you to do the same.

Until next time, folks. Stay cool!

No comments: